- Refresh your energy in the forest in Seoul Grand Park
- Situated in the natural forest of Cheonggyesan Mountain surrounding Seoul Zoo, the Forest Bathing Park has about 470 species of vegetation, including pine trees, wild pear trees, Mongolian oak trees, and ginger plants living in harmony with squirrels, hares, weasels, and raccoons. With about 35 species of birds including Pheasants, Scops Owls and Grey-headed Woodpeckers co-existing in the park, it is an incredible natural place for education. It is also composed of four different zones with a total of 8 kilometers of paths, including uphill and downhill trails.
Introduction to Forest Bathing Park
Depending on which trail you choose, it may take from 50 minutes to three hours to enjoy forest bathing. There are 11 rest areas with different themes, including ‘Fairy Lake Forest’ and ‘Forest of Friendship’. In addition, you can walk barefoot on the trail for 450 meters located near ‘Thinking Forest.' It is a fabulous path where you can step on the yellow soil barefooted, feeling the contact of soil on your feet,a feeling you may have forgotten over a long time. You can enjoy other beautiful resting facilities such as Ice Valley Forest, Mandarin Duck Forest, and the smaller springs too.
When you step into ‘Thinking Forest,' untie your shoelaces. Then, you may avoid disturbing the birds joyfully singing in the trees in the early summer and walk carefully to one of the farm huts with straw rooves, and wipe the sweat off your face. Even the small springs have clear and clean water, filled with the sounds of plants and bugs. Being barefooted, you will feel natural in the forest. Turning your head to the right, you will see the peaks of Gwanaksan Mountains. In the backdrop, you can see the peak of Cheonggyesan Mountain, while squirrels and hares hop around looking for food.
Forest bathing is visiting a forest for relaxation with fresh air, mysterious harmony, and beautiful scenery while breathing in phytoncide, a volatile substance. It is similar to natural aromatherapy.Phytoncides are antimicrobial volatile organic compounds derived from tress to protect themselves.
- How to enjoy
- Take a rest with walking on the forse, doing some exercises, observing animals and plants, reading, doing meditation, or appreciating pome or sculptures
- Comfortable clothes that absorb perspiration and allow air to circulate around the body are good
To enjoy forest bathing more effectively
Forest bathing is effective while visiting a forest in the morning, especially from 10 AM to noon, because during that time a lot of terpene are emitted. You can walk, take a rest, do mild exercise, or take deep breaths to stimulate your body.
About the Forest Bathing Park
- Operating Period :
- Open year-round
- Operating Hours :
- 09:00 ~ 18:00
- Fees :
- As long as you have paid for the entrance to the zoo, you are allowed to enter the park.
- ※ People with senior citizen identification are exempt from the entrance fee.
Course of Forest Bathing Park
Located on the mountain outside the Seoul Zoo, the Forest Bathing Park consists of four different zones with 8 kilometers of paths (6.9 kilometers of main road and 1.1 kilometers of branch road) and 11 theme trails including barefoot walking paths. It also has uphill, downhill and flat paths, so people can experience mild walking.
- It takes around 60 minutes to walk 2.2 kilometers of trail from the back of Australia House to South America Road. The course has Forest with Fairy Lake, False Acasia Forest, Forest with Nature, Ice Valley Forest, Motgol Hut and Songchon Hut.
- It takes about 50 minutes to walk 1.7 kilometers of road from South America Road to Reservoir Road via Thinking Forest, Resting Forest, Mandarin Duck Forest, Ice Valley Hut and Cheonggye Hut.
- It takes about 30 minutes to walk 1.4 kilometers of trail from Reservoir Road to Predatory Animal House via Reading Forest, Chestnut Forest, Manggyeong Hut and Bamgol Hut.
- It takes about 35 minutes to hike 1.6 kilometers of path from Predatory Animal House to Forest Exhibition Hall via Forest of Friendship and Pine Forest.